So how can you increase the number of positive and effective days? Maybe the best way I have found so far is to make sure you have good and consistent start to your day.
I do this by using a morning ritual.
Why is it helpful to start your day with a specific morning ritual?
Basically, what you do early in the day often sets the context for your day. As humans we have a strong tendency to want to be consistent with what we have done before. That’s one big reason why a bad start often leads to a bad day and a good start often leads to a good day.
My morning ritual
- Get up, drink a glass of water. You get dehydrated when you are asleep.
- Pull the blinds from my windows and open a window to let in the sun and more fresh air.
- Eat breakfast and drink a cup of green tea.
- Brush my teeth and tongue.
- Make my bed.
- Declutter for a few minutes. I wash any remaining dishes from yesterday. I put anything that is out place back into it’s right place. I clean up my workspace so it’s clean and organized.
Basically, I center myself and get into an organized and productive mindset by doing these simple things to order and clean up my environment. It is also a good way to warm up for your day, get out of a procrastinating mindset and it makes it easier to consistently take the next step where I start doing the most important thing right now.
I have also started to use a Paraliminal each day over the last week or so after doing my morning ritual. This helps me to for example strengthen my motivation, to cut down on self-talk significantly for many hours and generally keeps me more focused and effective during the day.
My ritual is very simple but it really improves my consistency on a day to day basis. It lets me slip into the right mindset at the start of each day. I highly recommend coming up with own ritual and using it every morning for 30 days.
My ritual is still under construction and I’m optimizing it.
So I’m curious: are you using a morning ritual and how is your ritual set up?