Learning to manage your time more effectively can have a very profound effect on your life and on your salon. Most salon owners and managers find themselves stretched for time, yet having to do more in order to stay competitive. It makes sense for managers to develop good time management habits, so that everything that needs to be done, gets done. Here are 10 time management tips to help you work smarter and use your time wisely:
1. Buy a week-at-a-glance diary and use it – write absolutely everything you need to accomplish in this diary.
2. Learn to differentiate between what is urgent and what is vital. The urgent may look and sound like it needs immediate attention, but it is rarely vital that it be done right now or at all.
3. The key is not to prioritize what is on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.
4. Use a time sheet. Keep track of your time by 15 minute blocks for two weeks and see how you actually spend your time. Compare this to what you should be or want to be spending your time on. It will give you the motivation to make the changes you need to.
5. You cannot do everything everyone asks you to do. Learn to say “NO”, to the project, not the person. Learn to say “NO” to interruptions.
6. Learn how to effectively delegate. This means picking the right person, giving clear directions, setting benchmark and deadlines, and then letting them do it.
7. Stop procrastinating. If you are inclined to, identify the reason behind your procrastination, (fear, boredom, unclear goals…) so you are solving the right problem when dealing with it.
8. Know your worth! Work out what your hourly rate is; in fact know what each minute of your time is worth. Use these thoughts and figures to help you prioritise your activities and determine what and to whom you should be delegating. Any time you are doing work that someone at a lower wage could be doing, you are losing money.
9. Set goals, personal and for the salon, – they help you prioritize your activities and let you know that you have succeeded.
10. Take control of your time. There are 1,440 minutes in a day and 29,020 days in an 80 year lifetime. Decide now not to waste any of this precious time, and make this the month to start doing what you want with your time. Take time to notice the results.